We know that panic attacks can be very scary, and are caused by a build-up of anxiety. This triggers a chemical reaction due to a rush of adrenaline. Remember, the symptoms you’re experiencing are an effect of your anxiety.
Here are some useful breathing tips to help you calm down:
- Breath out first to release oxygen. This will make you feel less light headed
- Try closing your mouth and breathing from your nose if you can. Breathe in for three seconds, counting in your head
- Now breathe out (still through your nose) for three seconds, while focusing on your breathing. This is a natural way to calm your body down
- Continue to do this until you feel your body start to relax.
- As you start to feel calmer and your anxiety passes, try to focus on what’s around you. If you still don’t feel right, call 111 for more support as soon as possible.
We are here to chat through anything you’re not sure about. Our online advisors are available seven days a week to give you advice and guidance on finding and staying in work. Or, you can pop into one of our branch or office locations