Building and maintaining good working relationships with people at work are important.
- Team members
- Your manager
- Customers or clients
- Project team members
- HR colleagues.
Here are some things to help you build relationships at work:
- Focus on your communication, listening and confidence skills
- Show your appreciation when someone supports you
- Give feedback
- Remaining focused on the job you need to do
- It’s great to have friends at work but have clear boundaries for these
- Don’t get distracted by the people around you, so that you can focus on your job
- Avoid gossip and office politics
- Talk to colleagues openly and honestly.
You may find some working relationships challenging or difficult.
When this happens try to:
- Be professional and polite
- Make an effort to get to know them
- Focus on what you have in common rather than your differences
- Remember, not all relationships will be perfect but try to make it workable.
If you have any queries or need support, call 0300 456 8110 or click on the purple chat button to talk to one of our online advisors. We are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.