Companies recruit in different ways. Sometimes this depends on the size of the company or the type of job they want to fill. Recruiting people costs a lot of money. Employers have to place adverts, spend time looking through applications and interviewing people, so they will want to make sure they bring in the right person for the job.
As each employer is different, they also want different things from their employees. However there are some things that all employers want. Having staff that turn up when they should, who are reliable and work hard is really important. Here is a list of some of the other things an employer might be looking for:
- People that can complete tasks on their own or as part of a team
- People that will fit in with their existing team
- People who will be loyal and not leave quickly
- People who have done something similar before or have experience of the skills they are looking for
Not all employers will want all of these skills, what they want will depend on the job they want to fill. There is more information on skills and abilities on later pages.
There are different ways an employer can look for staff to fill their vacancy.
- Advertise on their own companies website
- Advertise on the Universal Job Match (external site) website
- Advertise on other online job sites such as indeed (external site) or CV library (external site)
- Advertise in a national or local newspaper
- Use a recruitment agency
- Place an advert in their premises